Over 30 documented killings happened at this intersection.
At this location Luke Short shot Charlie Storms. Luke Short, a 26 year old faro dealer, Charlie Storms, 60, had only been in town a few days. Their dispute, the turn of a card. Bat Masterson separated the two, Storms left but returned a short time later calling Luke Short out. Short obliged and walked outside. He ducked around a corner and fired 3 shots at Storms. Short was not charged in the killing.
"Billy the Kid" Claiborne: After the real "Billy the Kid" was killed, Billy Claiborne insisted everyone call him "Billy the Kid".
Buckskin Frank Leslie, bartender at the Oriental Saloon and the deadliest pistoleer around, threw Billy Claiborne out of the bar because he was drunk and obnoxious to customers. He left but came back with a shotgun. He was hiding in wait for Buckskin Frank outside the front door, behind an orange cart. A pedestrian warned Frank, he stepped out the side door and could see the barrel of the scatter gun sticking out. Frank yelled to Billy, "I don't want to have to kill you!". Billy raised the shotgun, Buckskin Frank Leslie fired and killed him.
The 1880 census listed 12,361 residents in Tombstone. This number is misleading though because they only counted white, registered, male voters over the age of 21 who were property owners. They did not include women, children, Chinese immigrants or the many transient cowboys and miners that all called Tombstone home. It is estimated that the actual population in Tombstone back in 1880 was closer to 200,000! To put this in perspective, there were 3,541 registered prostitutes documented in Tombstone during this time period...according to the results of the 1880 census that would mean that one out of every 3.7 people was a hooker!
Built in 1881, third and largest opera house in Tombstone. Known as the rowdiest, raunchiest opera house between St. Louis and San Francisco. 26 gunfights broke out inside the Birdcage, 13 men and 1 woman died inside the Birdcage. It's also considered Ground Zero for ghost hunting. The most haunted building in the country.
On the evening of March 18th, 1882 Morgan and Wyatt Earp attended a performance at Schieffelin Hall, "Stolen Kisses". Afterwards, Morgan convinced Wyatt into heading in here to shoot a game of pool.
While Morgan and Bob Hatch were shooting a game of Billiards, GLASS SHATTERED and Morgan was shot in the back with a 10 gauge shotgun! Dr. Goodfellow was summoned to no avail. Morgan Earp died in less than 3/4 of an hour. The bullet passed through Morgan and hit a man named George Berry. Another shot hit the wall above Wyatt Earp's head. George Berry eventually died. Dr. Goodfellow said it wasn't the bullet that killed Berry. He said the man was SCARED TO DEATH!!!
Opened as the Cochise County Bank in 1881. There were many attempts to rob this bank, none were successful. This bank was one of the first time-lock safes in the country. By time-lock safes this means it can only be opened at certain times of the day, usually morning, afternoon and evening, while several armed guard were standing by.
There were at least 7 attempts...5 would be robbers and 3 bank managers were killed in these attempts when they couldn't get the safe to open.
At the turn of the century, the building was a general store, real estate office. Later it was also a Feed & Fuel store.
From the mid-1940's to the mid-1960's this was the City Hospital. A lot of folks in town were born in this building. As you may know, during the 1940's to 1960's there was a lot of experimental medicine going on in America. A lot of poor victims died in this building!!! We've filmed on several occasion a patient walking the street in a white hospital gown! Strange moans and groans are often heard inside!
In 1879 Col. William C. Greene had placed a small dam across the San Pedro River upstream from Jim Burnett's ranch. Burnett told his Chinese workers that if something should happen to the dam, he wouldn't give a damn!!!
As a result, Green's daughter and friend both drowned.
Greene came to Tombstone looking for Burnett. He found him sitting in front of the OK Corral. Greene shot Burnett 3 times. Burnett fell from the chair and crawled to the street. Col. Greene put the gun to the back of Burnett's head and pulled the trigger.
A jury, in a circus-like trial, acquitted Greene...they said he had suffered enough!
1899-1906: Greene's net worth was $50,000,000 in copper, cattle and timber.
Col.'s title was made up to entice investors.
Carl G. Bilicke opened the Cosmopolitan in 1879. Nothing more than a large tent, it had 50 beds, a restaurant, bar and Tombstone's first Steinway piano. In a short time it was replaced by a wooden building.
In 1880 he built a second floor with an outside veranda lined with orange trees.
Buckskin Frank Leslie, a very handsome, blonde haired, blue eyed, ladies man kept a room here at the Cosmopolitan. One night after a dance, Frank escorted May Killen, estranged wife of Mike Killeen, back to the hotel. They were sitting on this veranda when Mike arrived. Gunshots erupted...Mike Killeen was dead. Buckskin Frank Leslie was not charged.
Witnesses said another man fired the fatal shots, George Perine. He was questioned and released. Buckskin Frank Leslie was the deadliest gunman in the territory. He's responsible for 13 graves at Boothill!
The first structure erected in what would become Tombstone. Described as a mansion built of mud carraja poles (stalks of the agave plant). In September of 1880, a new, 3 story, adobe structure, The Grand Hotel, opened for business. It boasted all the luxury and comfort 1880 had to offer; an arched entrance, Brussels carpets, black walnut staircases, oil paintings, an elegant dining room and walnut and silk furniture throughout this beautiful hotel.
The prestigious Tombstone Club occupied the second floor. It featured the finest liquor, cigars and apartments!
John Behan, the soon to become corrupt Sheriff, was a bartender here and it quickly became the Cowboy hangout. Personal story; coin rolled off table, front door opens, Swamper!!!
The morning of the Gunfight at the OK Corral, October 26th, 1881...it was a cold day and it had been spitting snow.
Sometime around 2:30 PM while the Earps, Wyatt, Virgil and Morgan, were standing here in front of Hafford's Saloon, Doc Holliday ran up 4th St. from his room at C.S. Fly's Boarding House. Doc shouted, "Wyatt! Virgil! I have had people knockin' on my door all morning! They say the Clantons and McLaurys are gunnin' for us!"
"For God's sake," Wyatt said, "Let's finish it!". Virgil say's, "Follow me boys...".
The 4 men proceed north of 4th St. They stop here at what was Spangenberg's Gun Shop. They go inside and purchase 45. long colt cartridges and 10 gauge shotgun shells. As they walk out the front door a man at the counter asks, "What's goin' on Virgil?" Virgil replies, "We're going down to the corral to disarm the Cowboys. They've been up drinking for 2 days threatening our lives!"
Well, you've all been told for over 50 years that the historic shoot-out was The Gunfight at the OK Corral. Sorry, that title was made up in Hollywood to sell more movie tickets. Who wants to see a movie named "Gunfight in an Empty Lot next to Fremont St.? Nobody! During daylight hours, walk along Fremont St. to see the REAL location as well as C.S. Fly's Photo Gallery & Boarding House where Doc and Big Nose Kate kept a room...
On October 28, 1880, just past midnight shots rang out near the corner of 6th & Allen Streets. Several Cowboys were returning from the Red Light District. At one point Tombstone boasted over 3500 registered Ladies of the Night.
Marshal Fred White, a 31 year old, newly elected Chief of Police, responded from his one room cabin behind what was an empty lot. The Birdcage Theatre had not been built yet.
He quickly disarmed those who where trying to shoot out the moon and the stars...probably high on opium. As he disarmed Curly Bill Brocius, the gun discharged, hitting Marshal White in the groin. He died an agonizing death, suffering for 3 days. On his death bed he exonerated Curly Bill, saying in was an accident. Wyatt Earp, who helped White disarm Curly Bill, corroborated the story...Curly Bill was eventually released.
Quon Kee's Can Can Restaurant opened in 1879 on the corner of 4th and Allen Streets in a 10 x 10 white canvas tent. Quon Kee sold Chinese food to everyone in the territory from the more than 15,000 immigrant Chinese to cowboys and miners. Soon his restaurant was so popular that he was able to build a building that housed 100 long tables.
Quon Kee was married to China Mary who controlled the Asian immigration in Tombstone. She would bring the immigrants to town, put them to work and in return for her efforts, would get one third of their wages for the first 2 years they were here. China Mary also controlled the opium trade in Tombstone and soon became very popular and wealthy. She could often be seen sitting with important people such as the Governor when he came to town.